Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Matthew's Gospel

This morning I read about the death and resurrection of Jesus in the book of Matthew. As I was praying about it, I realized that I had read it so many times. I realized that it's so easy for someone to have faith and believe in it if they've been taught it so many times. It becomes something regular. So today, I asked God to make Jesus' story REAL to me... make it REAL to my life. I asked him to show me and teach me what Christ's death meant to ME.

I also learned something new today while reading. On the road to Golgotha where he was crucified, Jesus was offered wine with Gall mixed in it. I wondered... what's Gall? I read in the footnote that Gall deadens the pain. People were offering a way out of his suffering... trying to ease his pain. But Jesus refused it. He wanted to suffer and pay the FULL price of our sins. He wanted to fulfill his mission completely... wholeheartedly. He never backed down. He could've come down from the cross. He could've told them to stop beating him and mocking him. He could've asked God to send down a legion of angels to rescue him-- but he didn't. He went all the way... for ME.

I thank you Jesus for suffering for me. I never want to take for granted what you did for me.

No comments: